Open Position: Data Scientist with focus on Big Data
VRVis is a well-known Austrian-based research institute in the field of visual computing. We partner with science and industry to pursue basic and applied research in order to create innovative solutions for a broad range of data-related challenges in fields such as bio-informatics, healthcare planning, flood-risk management, automotive and civil engineering, energy production, industrial quality control, as well as cultural heritage and visual arts. We also publish our research results in renowned scientific journals and collaborate with universities and other research institutions around the world. To support our team with big data challenges we are looking to hire a data scientist (f/m) with the following responsibilities:
- Design and implementation of big data solutions.
- Eagerness to establish your own research group with focus on big data.
- Acquisition of external funding preferably from industry.
- Provide big data and related statistical expertise to the existing research groups.
- Open-ended contract, 38.5 h per week plus 5 extra hours per month.
- Family-friendly, flexible working hours. Friendly, inclusive work environment and additional benefits.
- Minimum EUR 46.284,- gross per year based on collective agreement (Kollektivvertrag Automatische Datenverarbeitung und Informationstechnik) with the willingness to overpay depending on experience.
- Location: Vienna, Austria.
- PhD-degree in computer sciences, information systems, mathematics, or a related field.
- Proven track record in acquisition of funding or established industrial relations.
- Ability to efficiently organize and manipulate very large data sets.
- Experience in Big Data analytics, i.e. analysis and/or management of complex, high-volume data.
- Sound knowledge of statistical methods and statistical testing and/or machine learning skills.
- Good oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to solve problems creatively.
- Capability to work independently as well as in a team.
Appreciated additional skills
- Background in visualization or visual analysis or human-computer interaction.
- Ability for spatial and temporal (thinking and) reasoning.
- Working knowledge of programming and script languages like Python, Java, C#, C++.
- Intermediate knowledge of data base systems and SQL.
- Basic comprehension of German.
Application deadline: Open, however, we would like to fill the position by the end of 2017.
We especially encourage female candidates to apply! In case of equal qualification, priority is given to female candidates.
VRVis Zentrum für Virtual Reality und Visualisierung Forschungs-GmbH (Research Center)
Donau-City-Straße 11, 1220 Vienna / Austria
To view the job advertisment as PDF click here.